Friday, December 16, 2011

I am America

There are times when I find it hard to relate to certain issues. When people are discussing things like retirement, Social Security, and property taxes I find it hard to sympathize because I don't have a personal connection with those issues. I am no where near retirement age, Social Security is also far away, and I have no property that can be taxed. I have found others are the same way with issues that are important to me.

I understand the difficulty in relating to something that you don't have a personal connection with. It would be like worrying about somebody that you don't know. That is why I have this blog. Immigration is an issue that is very important to me, and I want to do everything I can to make the people around me aware of what is going on.

Everyday millions of  people are denied the opportunity of becoming American residents. These are people that have a strong work ethic and solid family values. The desire for a better life has driven them to come into the country illegally. They work the jobs that many are not willing to do, and they are forced to live in the shadows of society. They are treated unfairly, and the labels that others have placed on them make them seem less than human.

States like Alabama and Arizona have violated their Constitutional limitations to enact strict anti-immigrant policies that have bordered on outright racism. Both of their attempts have been challenged by federal courts, and the Supreme Court is reviewing Arizona's law as I type this. I won't be the person that compares these policies to Nazi Germany, but can't stay silent when my people are being treated unfairly.

In Arizona there is a man who calls himself "America's Toughest Sheriff." That man is Joseph Arpaio, Maricopa County Sheriff since 1993. If I were to label Mr. Arpaio, I would change his moniker to "America's Most Racist Sheriff." His actions during his term are nothing short of appalling. Mr. Arpaio is currently being investigated by the U.S. Department of Justice for his treatment of Latinos in Maricopa County. There are reports of raids motivated by skin color, as well as mistreatment of Latino prisoners in the county jail.   

I find it hard to believe that He has been in office for so long, especially when I read those allegations about him. Even when he defends himself Mr. Arpaio cannot help but sound inhumane and bigoted. From the San Francisco Chronicle, "He said the decision by Homeland Security to sever ties will result in illegal immigrants being released from jail and large numbers. They will go undetected and be "dumped on a street near you. For that, you can thank the federal government," the sheriff said."

Dumped on a street near you? Are we garbage to you, Mr. Arpaio? Just because someone does not have the "right papers" does not give you the right to think of them as less than yourself. These words are just a small sample of the things that Mr. Arpaio allows and condones in his department.
Mr. Arpaio. You say tough, I say racist

I could go on an on about what this man has said and done during his time as sheriff, but I wont. I will, however, leave you with one interesting fact about Mr. Arpaio: his parents were Italian immigrants. Ah, l'ironia! (Oh, the irony!)


Then we have the federal government. Their actions can be more aptly described as in-actions. Presidential candidates have promised an overhaul to the broken immigration policy in this country. Not one of them has done anything significant about it when they are elected. After a while, you get the sense that they are merely pandering to the Latino voters with their words, but in reality they are playing political games. 


Earlier this year the Obama administration made a policy change having to do with the deportation of undocumented immigrants. If an individual was arrested they would only be deported if they had a criminal record, or if they were repeat offenders. I was glad to hear the the White House was doing its part to make the system work a little better for people who were trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately, it was too good to be true.


I read about Liliana Ramos, a woman who was deported after living in the U.S. for twenty-one years. She was separated from her three children, and taken to country that is almost completely foreign to her. She tried to do the right thing, and she was essentially punished for it. When she brought up the policy change to the immigration officers they told her that it was just politics. I have learned that there is a difference between what politicians say and what politicians do. President Obama is no exception. Deportations have actually increased since he was elected.


A change has to be made. The system does not work, for anybody. I have no problem with securing the border. I have no problem with deporting dangerous criminals, or with the law being enforced, but I want something in return. Fix the immigration system. Everyone should have to chance to know what it means to be an American, not just live in America. 


I know this is a long post, and I am having a hard time figuring out how to conclude this essay. I will leave you with a poem I read in a literature class. It was written by an African American poet named Langston Hughes.  Even though he was wrote from an African American point of view, I cannot help but relate.


I, Too
  
I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides, 
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.
 
~Langston Hughes 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment