Friday, March 25, 2011

I can't travel without my...

I decided that I would dedicate a post to the various things that will make trip slightly easier. These are things that will make my stay in Mexico more comfortable.
6th Generation iPod Nano

6th Generation iPod Nano
Cool accessories
The first on my list is my ipod. I have owned several ipods through the years, and this little guy is the latest addition. The reason i chose this for the trip was the size. When you travel you have so many things to keep track of. My thought was that with a small ipod i could clip it on or wear it as a watch and not have to worry about it getting lost. It has 8 gigs, which is enough for what I need. I have found that music helps me relax when I'm on an airplane, and i listen to several podcasts. It has several nice features including a built in fm radio and a built in clip. They say the battery will last 24 hours of continuous playback. The screen is 1.5 inch display is tiny, but has great resolution and color. If you have the Apple headphones with control and microphone, you can control the ipod with voice commands.  Link to the nano

Motorola Droid 2 Global
The second item is my phone. The Motorola Droid 2 Global. Several years ago I got into smarthphones, and this is my third one. I stared off with a blackberry curve, then a Motorola droid, and now the droid 2. I am rather fond of the android phones, and in my opinion Motorola makes the best. I wont go into too many of the technical details of this phone, but i will say that it is fast. the display is colorful and responsive and it is a good phone over all.

Obviously, the performance of a phone will depend on the network strength and other variables. One of the main reasons i got this phone was because of its global capabilities. in other words, it should work in other parts of the world that use different cell phone systems. I combined this with a Mexico calling plan from Verizon, and we should be good to go. The plan was not much more expensive than our current plan, and it will allow to talk to people in the U.S. without incurring any extra charges. Texting to Verizon customers is unlimited, which is important. There are many more great features to this phone. The Android app market also makes this and other Android phones popular. They may not have as may as the Apple app market, but the list is growing. These apps make your device much more than a cell phone.   Motorola Droid 2 website

Acer Aspire One Netbook
 
Finally we have the Aspire One Netbook. I realized when I was shopping for one of these that they were slowly dying off thanks to the ipad and other tablets. And they should die off. Tablets are much better and more attractive. On the other hand, this costs half as much as any tablet, and it does most of the things that tablets do. I will use it to blog, surf the web, Facebook, and Skype. Netbooks have plenty of memory, but not as much as a regular laptop, but the advantage is size.

Features include, Intel Atom N455 processor, 250GB hard drive, 1GB system memory, and 10.1" widescreen. All packed into a package that is about an inch thick and weighs less than 5 lbs. It comes with windows 10 starter edition, but office max gave me a discount on an upgrade to windows 10 premium home edition. it has a built in webcam, which will help me keep in touch with friends and family.
Office max link

Miscellaneous:
Prescription sunglasses
Travel pillow
Travel iron
USB charger
Bible

 

No comments:

Post a Comment