Thursday, September 15, 2011

Family time...

My last post was supposed to be about the time I spent with my family, but it became something completely different. I spent way too much time in airplane and in airports, so I had to express my opinions.

I have to write about my family because they were such a large and important part of my journey. Because I was in the U.S. illegally, I could not go out and visit them without having major complications on the return trip. This is an unfortunate fact, not only for my family, but also for countless others. In my case, I was separated from grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. For many others it includes parents, siblings, and even spouses. I am very fortunate in that regard because I was only apart from my parents for a few months before they brought me over.

During those months I was looked after by both sets of grandparents and my aunts. Although I missed my parents terribly, they all did their best to provide a loving environment for me. I have very vivid memories of my family caring for me during this time. I was surrounded my aunts, and they all spoiled me to no end. I knew that when I returned I would be received with warmth even though many years had passed.

From the first moment that they picked me up from the Mexico City Airport, my family went our of their way to make my stay with them as comfortable and memorable as possible. They took me in, fed me (too much), and  they never let me pay for anything.

Let me share an example of their kindness. While I was there I had to get an ID card. The one that would be easier to get would be a driver's license. One of my aunts took time out of her day to drive me around town getting everything that I needed. The license itself was very easy to get, but because I haven't lived in Mexico I had no residence. I had to go around to different government offices to get different documents, copies of documents, and photographs. Since I was new to all of it, she was doing most of the talking. She was also pregnant at the time, and I'm sure that all of the walking around was not easy for her.

I was blessed by this act and all the other things that my family did for me during my time with them. My favorite times in Mexico where when we would all be together, as a family. I would sit, watch them for a second and take a mental picture of them. I was happy to see them, and to be with them. Even though I hadn't seen them in years, I felt right at home with them. I miss them, and I can't wait to visit them soon.

You may have asked yourself about the blog's title, "Nameless Traveler," and its origin. Or maybe you haven't. Well, it was the only name that I could come up with that was not taken, and at first I didn't really like. Now that the journey has ended I have begun to appreciate the name more and more. Let me explain why.

What a cute baby...
Before I became legal I did not exist to the U.S. government. I was truly nameless. When I returned to Mexico, even though I was a Mexican citizen, I had no roots. I had a birth certificate and passport, but no address or anything to my name. Once again I was nameless. Spending time with my family helped to to remember where I came from, and where my name came from. I saw the places where I was a baby, where I grew up, and where my parents lived. 

Even though I was out of my comfort zone, I felt at home with them. I know that at any point I can walk into any one of their homes, and they would be glad to see me. I hope that one day we can all be reunited as a family. I want my parents to see their parents and siblings. I want my brothers to see their extended family, and to see where they come from. I want my wife to see it, and when the time comes I want my future children to see it as well. Someday...
Family

No comments:

Post a Comment