Thursday, July 21, 2011

Interview Appointment

I had my interview appointment on April 4th. I woke up early to get ready for the interview. I was really nervous and anxious, but I knew that God was in control. I had a granola bar, and a bottle of water for breakfast. I think that is all my stomach could handle at that point.


Waiting at the gate
   
My appointment was set for 9:15 am, and the driver picked me up at about 7:30. We drove to the consulate, and I got in line at the waiting area. Here they check your passport and other document to verify your identity and that you have an appointment. There were tv screens that had instructions, and told you what you what you could not bring into the consulate. I didn't have to wait there very long.

They had us line up and walk to the consulate, which is down the street from the waiting area. At the consulate we line up outside a metal fence. There was a guard there shouting out more instructions about what the security line would be like.

After getting my documents checked at the gate I went into a security room. There were several lines and metal detectors. I emptied my pockets and walked through without any incident. They gave me a number and I walked over to the waiting area to wait for my turn.

The waiting area is outdoors, but it has a roof over it. There were several screens around displaying people's numbers as they were being called up. The screen shows your number, as well as the window number you have to go to. I brought along a book, but I was too anxious to read. I also didn't want to miss seeing my number on the screen. There was not any logical order to the numbers, so it was hard to predict when your number would be called.

Example of a ticket
Waiting Area
     The first time my number was called I walked into the building and up to the window with my first packet. There was also a waiting are inside where there were already several hundred people waiting. I would guess that when I arrived there were over 200 people waiting their turn They asked me for my passport, and proof that I had the appointment. Then the official told me to sit back down, and watch for my number again. I sat once again and waited for my number. When it came on the screen again I made my way to the designated window, and I waited in line. At this window they were scanning fingerprints to verify identification. After I got done at this window, I sat back down to await the final step for the day: the interview.

This is a vital step in the process because the interviewer has the ability approve or deny your attempt at a waiver. The issues they are most concerned with are when you entered the country, family life, and any problems with law enforcement. I was nervous about the interview, and of course this was the longest wait of the day.

I was sitting near the windows so I could hear bits and pieces of other people's interviews. I do not recommend this because everybody's case is different. I saw one lady who had her visa application accepted on the spot. That made me feel better, and I was happy for her. Unfortunately, I also saw people that had sad looks on their faces when their cases were rejected.

Finally, my number was called. This was it. A truly life changing moment. I had thought about what I was going to say for days. I walked up to the window, and I was greeted by the lady who was going to be interviewing me. I had been trying to picture this moment in my head for so long. This interview could make or break my case. She had me read an oath then raise my right hand and swear that everything that I was saying was true.
  
My attorney had prepared me for the interview, but it was nothing like the real thing. The interviewer asked me a few simple biographical questions. She asked me how I met my wife. She asked about my in laws, my brothers, my parents, when I entered the U.S., when I returned to Mexico.

Then she asked my my wife's favorite food. I completely blanked for a second. Not because I didn't know it, but because I did not expect that type of question. I answered the question, and for some inexplicable reason, I felt relief. It was as if I was affirming to them that my marriage was not a sham to get a green card, and I felt more confident about my application being accepted.

After she asked me all the questions, she informed me that because I had entered the country illegally I was subject to a ten year ban, but that I was eligible to apply for a waiver. I was prepared for this, and I said thank you very much, and I left.I felt so much better at that point. I was half way there, and I knew that I was going to see my family very soon. My flight out to see them was the next morning.

Like so many things in this process, the interview felt like it was over before it started. I had built it up in my had over the past months, but once I got through it I felt much better. I could focus on the next aspect of my journey, which was visiting my family. I had not seen them in almost 20 years. That was really the highlight of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment