Sunday, August 7, 2011

A change of pace

So far this blog has been a narrative about my journey back to Mexico. I have explained the steps that we have had to take in order for me to become a permanent legal resident. It has been an interesting experience writing these things and hearing people's responses to what I write. I still have a few more stories to tell, but this post will be different than the rest.

I wanted to use this blog to chronicle my journey, and share with others what I was going through. As the story comes closer to an end, I have started to think about what I want this blog to evolve into. When I make my triumphant return to school it will be to pursue an English major, which will then lead me to a law degree, which will hopefully lead to a career as an immigration attorney. This blog is a good way for me to practice my writing, and it also helps me articulate my thoughts and feelings about our nation's immigration issues.

My hope is that, as people read my blog, they will not see me as a republican, or a democrat, or liberal, or conservative, or whatever you want, but as a human being. A person with hopes, dreams, and aspirations. Someone they can relate to in some way. As you read my blog, I don't want you to change your political allegiances, but I do want you to see things through my glasses, and walk a mile in my shoes, and other similar cliches. 

This change of pace was inspired by a Facebook post. It was not someone that I personally know, but it was brought to my attention. I do not have the post in front of me, but I will try to paraphrase it as best as I can.
And I paraphrase..."There are 97,000 illegal Mexicans living in Oregon. If they all went back to where they belong, unemployment would go down." End of paraphrase.They also wrote that they knew that this would offend people, and they knew there were prejudiced. Really?!

Put yourself in my position for a second. The statement was not just a political one, but it really started to cross the line into blatant racism. How do I respond to something like this? Do I get down to their level, and respond in a similar fashion? No. That would be counterproductive because people are like this are set in their ways, so they would not even be willing to participate in a rational discussion on the matter.

I will, however, respond to their assertion that if all the "illegal Mexicans" went away, all of Oregon's economic problems would also go away. I should point out that I am not an economist, but I did take an economics class in school.

I think the writer of the aforementioned Facebook post is making a large assumption by saying that removing a large number of people from a community would somehow improve the economy. Forget for a second about whether these people are legal or illegal. They are simply consumers. People that work, and spend their money locally.

The most important part of any business is the customer. If you remove any number of customers from any type of business, that establishment would suffer. Whether it is a restaurant, auto repair shop or a grocery store, the fact remains the same. Think about what happens to our local community in the summer when OSU students go home for the summer. Businesses that are frequented by those students are not as prosperous as they are when the students are around. On a much larger scale, Oregon's economy would be negatively affected by the loss of a large number of consumers. Not to mention, the loss of tax revenue that would be lost of those workers left. 

A second point I would like to make is that adding migrant workers to an economy does not weaken it, but strengthens it. You don't have to take my word for it either. According to the Wall Street Journal, "migrants are good for economies." There is no simpler way to say it.

This may not address the issue of legal vs. illegal immigrants, but it helps the cause along. There is also something to be said about the diversity that migrants bring to a region. Imagine how boring life would be if you could only eat a certain type of food. Personally I enjoy Italian food, Chinese food, American food, and of course Mexican food. I can appreciate other cultures, as well as treasuring my own.

I hope that I have not bored my you too much with my rambling, but what this person wrote really got to me. I believe the lesson is, think before you post on Facebook. It is one thing to have a personal belief or opinion, but attacking a whole group of people based on personal prejudices is never right. Maybe this is not something that you would ever do, but if you ever come across it do the right thing. I will leave you with the link to the WSJ article I quoted. Wall Street Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment